Thursday, January 22, 2009

General Gurgel Attacks Euro Championships



Alliance leader to participate for second time

After top black belt competitor Michel Langhi hinted that his teacher would be participating in the upcoming European Championship, GRACIEMAG.com set off after master of superstars Fabio Gurgel for confirmation, and confirmed it.



“I think it’s really natural [competing]. I’ve been doing it my whole life and still do, firstly because I like it, secondly because I think the new generations need to see Jiu-Jitsu doesn’t end at 30, and to keep myself up to date and closer to my students. As my master, Jacare, says, ‘a general should be on the front lines,’” stated the experienced black belt.


Fabio Gurgel, at “3.9” years of age, as he likes to say, will compete in a European Championship for the second time, at the European 2009, to take place from January 30th to February 1st, in Lisbon, Portugal.


In 2007, the Alliance top man took gold in the Senior I super heavyweight category. Besides being an example, the general, as he is affectionately known by his students, demonstrates how time and experience really are what set veterans apart when facing reality. 


“The state of spirit is what motivates me to compete, since during each phase of life one faces it differently. Even if I’ve fought the same adversary before it may be completely different this time around. I go into tournaments knowing that even though I’ve competed thousands of times it may be completely different,” stated Gurgel, who has been training at the Alliance branch in Turku, Finland, for the past week.



“Today I’m starting another week in Helsinki. I’ve been training a lot, preparing and organizing our team here. Truth is I’m missing the quality of training we have in Brazil, but on the other hand I have more time to rest and prepare myself. It’s a trade that I’m not yet sure whether it’s good or bad, we’ll see next week,” he said, jokingly.


With a confident posture, Gurgel said he hopes to have a good championship. Not just himself, but his team. “Alliance has been growing for some time and at we’re organizing ourselves for the European. It wouldn’t be a surprise to us if we win the championship, but we’re not favorites, since not many will be coming up from Brazil. Nevertheless our team here is strong and we’ll be taking nearly 100 athletes,” said the master of beasts like Sergio Moraes, Gabriel Vella and Demian Maia in finishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment